Saturday, April 17, 2010

Mom's Pink Buttermilk Sugar Cookies!


Earlier this week I had plans to make Red Velvet Cupcakes for a movie-night that Luke and I were going to attend, but it all got canceled last minute leaving me with a bunch of buttermilk, eggs, sugar, and butter to use up.. What else would I make, but Mom's Buttermilk Sugar Cookies?!
Buttermilk Sugar Cookies Lee Bennion
1 cup butter ( I often use half lard and half butter)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup buttermilk (if I don’t have buttermilk, I use plain liveculture yogurt w/ a little milk added)
1/4 tsp baking pd.
1 tsp salt
about 3 cups sifted flour

Cream butter, blend in sugar. Add slightly beaten egg and vanilla. Dissolve soda in buttermilk, then add to creamed mixture. Sift together 2 cups flour, salt and baking pd. Add to mixture so dough will roll easily on lightly floured board. I like to use a pastry cloth to roll oue pie crusts and cookies on. Be careful not to overwork dough and this will result in denser not as flakey or cake like cookies. Dough may be chille�� ©d for an hour to make handling easier w/ less flour. Too much flour makes them tough. Roll out some where between a quater and half inch. I like them thick and soft. Place on baking sheets and bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. Do not over brown.


Butter Cream Frosting
(enough to frost 15 sugar cookies)
4 TBS butter
2 TBS hot milk
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
add a couple of drops of red food coloring if you want pink frosting.

Stir butter till very soft. Add small amount of sugar, then milk and vanilla. Beat in remaining sugar till spreading consistency.



I love these cookies! I remember when Mom used to make them and bring them to my elementary school class on my birthday, even after they passed they law saying all treats must be packaged.. No one ever seemed to mind!
Usually when I end up just baking for the fun of it (which is most often the case), I will take cookies or whatever I made that day and pass them out either at work or around the neighborhood. It's fun to do and then me and my roommates don't end up eating them all ourselves!

I did still end up making those Red Velvet Cupcakes and you can find the blog post I did for work on them here. I plan on doing a full double layer red velvet cake soon and I will sure to share how that goes!
xoxo,
Adah





6 comments:

  1. cute! I love these cookies! I've had trouble the last couple times though, the cookies melt out and are flat and crispy instead of think and flakey. I know I've made them right in the past, I've tried chilling the dough once it's cut, I make it all in the cuisinart so I don't touch the butter and overwork it . .. I try to keep the dough thick when I roll it out . . . any tips oh wise cookie making sister? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. This is a curious case you have here, my dear! The first time I made them here around Valentines Day, they all came out wonky shaped and flat- so then I just started rolling them thicker and thicker. I also don't cook them very long- I'd say less than ten minutes.
    Only other thing I can think of is the Baking Soda & Powder: maybe up your dose on those? They are the only rising agents in these bad-boys..
    Good Luck!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess would be the fat you're using. Butter, lard, and shortening don't melt out like healthier fats do. If it's not that, maybe altitude?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always use straight butter (i'm a butter kind of girl) I think it might be I'm rolling too thin? and I wonder about the altitude too . . . thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had that problem Zi since switching to a new oven. You might want to fiddle with the temp and see. Also you can try using cream of tar tar. That is especially good in cookies. (ask grandma) :o) The cookies I had the problem with were snickerdoodles and found that if I didn't flatten the dough, the didn't go all funky on me. Go figure!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmm, you may have the answer luce, it has been since I moved into a new place that I've had these problems. My oven and burners are EXTRA hot, I always set the oven temp lower than it says, but maybe I need to do more. I'll try the cream of tarter too. thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete